Without our talented and dedicated staff, EmpowHer Institute couldn’t do the incredibly important and impactful work that we do. As we continue to grow, we are seeking to find passionate, hard-working, and caring team members who can help us support the next generation of girls succeed.
EmpowHer Institute is a non-profit organization whose mission is to empower marginalized girls and young women by giving them the skills necessary through education, training, and mentorship to enable them to become confident, college and career ready.
Program Design and Operations:
- Design and implement EmpowHer Girls Academy programs in the areas of leadership & self-esteem, health & well-being, and career & college development for teen girls.
- Manage programs overseeing EmpowHer instructors, program participants, and volunteers.
- Continually increase teen participation in numbers served according to the EmpowHer strategic plan.
- Maintain a high-level of participant retention.
- Ensure that each program has the requisite supplies.
- Manage strategic relationships with school administrators.
- Work with school staff in scheduling programs and any needed modifications.
- Participate in staff meetings and conference calls for planning and execution of programming.
- Organize, manage, and chaperone field trips and special events for program participants and volunteers.
- Communicate with program instructors and school staff about any important behavioral or environmental issues affecting any program.
Student Relationship Management
- Manage recruitment and retention of program participants.
- Manage a strong relationship with program participants and their parents/guardians.
- Create incentive programs for student retention and development.
- Manage communications with program participants and their parents or legal guardians.
- Support parental involvement efforts such as parent meetings, workshops and newsletters.
- Maintain relationships within EmpowHer such as with board members, volunteers, donors, and sponsors.
- Recruit volunteers for EmpowHer Girls’ programs
- Respond to volunteer inquiries and guide volunteers through the registration and qualification process.
- Manage all volunteer participation
- Facilitate volunteer trainings for mentoring program and events.
- Conduct regular youth development research and apply new ideas to EmpowHer programming.
- Develop and monitor metrics for evaluation of each program.
- Collaborate with school staff to collect student data, including report cards, diplomas, and relevant test scores.
- Follow up with foundations and corporate sponsors with program updates.
Implement internal and external brand development.
DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR (PART TIME)
Development Director (PT)
EmpowHer Institute, Los Angeles CA
Our Mission & Vision
The mission of EmpowHer Institute is to empower girls and young women in marginalized communities by giving them the skills necessary through education, training, and mentorship to enable them to become confident, college and career ready.
We envision a world where every girl is provided the opportunities and resources to: embrace the power of her voice; make informed decisions about her body and future; break generational cycles of poverty; contribute to the creation of an equitable society.
Want to use your fundraising experience and skills to make a difference in the lives of teen girls in Los Angeles County? Do you have a commitment to gender equity and racial justice? Are you a go getter who is skilled in building relationships and has a track record of successful fundraising? Do you thrive in high energy, collaborative, and supportive work environments where you are encouraged to embrace the “art of the possible?” This just may be the job for you!
EmpowHer Institute is seeking a part time Director of Development. In this small and emerging organization, the Director of Development will spearhead fundraising efforts as EmpowHer continues to grow. He/She/They will be responsible for building and executing the development plan, developing relationships with key public and private funding stakeholders, partnering with the Executive Director in raising the organization’s annual revenue goals, grantwriting, and donor cultivation.
The Development Director will report to and work in partnership with the Executive Director (ED) to meet the organization’s aggressive 4-year fundraising goals (FY 2023 & 2024- $2M, FY 2025- $3.5M, 2026- $5M).
- Develop and execute EmpowHer’s annual fundraising plan
- Secure financial support from public and private resources, including individuals, foundations corporations, etc
- Manage the overall data of the DonorPerfect CRM and supervise the team member responsible for data entry and gift processing
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors and foundations
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Collaborate with the Corporate Partners Liaison to secure corporate sponsors for annual special events
- Review, edit and occasionally write grant proposals in collaboration with the Grant Writer
- Support in board development as it pertains to fundraising
- Supervise a parttime Grant Writer
- 5+ years of experience in fund development
- Demonstrated excellence in communication skills
- 2+ years of experience in managing staff
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills
- Comfortable speaking publicly with large and small groups
- Knowledge of donor CRM systems (DonorPerfect preferred)
- Must pass LiveScan criminal background check facilitated by the LA County Department of Probation
- Must submit negative TB test results
- Must be collaborative, creative, and a determined go getter who is unafraid to ask for money and does not get knocked down by the answer “no”
The ideal candidate is one who is committed to the mission and vision of EmpowHer Institute, has a dynamic personality, is creative, is comfortable around diverse stakeholders, believes in collaboration, and has excellent interpersonal communications skills.
- Part-time: $50 p/hr Maximum: 20 hrs a week
- Flexible work schedule
- EmpowHer Institute® is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce.
How to Apply:
- Submit cover letter, resume, and writing sample of a previously written grant proposal (no more than 3 pages) to Dawn L Brown, CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR. Applications without cover letter, resume, and writing sample will not be considered.
EmpowHer Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. EmpowHer Institute will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Women, BIPOC, and LGBTQ individuals encouraged to apply
As advocates for gender and racial justice, EmpowHer Institute offers a safe, inclusive, and supportive space for girls to thrive. We serve to combat the systemic inequities girls of color face and advance economic equity.
EmpowHer Institute partners with Title I middle schools in marginalized communities to deliver our EmpowHer Girls Academy Program to 500+ girls annually. The Academy is fully integrated into the school day as a gender-responsive enrichment class for 7th and 8th graders at our partner school sites. The class is comprised of three primary components: (1) social and emotional learning (SEL) centric curriculum, (2) mentorship from professional women, and (3) field trips and immersive learning programs. This program aims to empower teen girls by giving them the tools they need to cope with challenges, overcome trauma, engage in school, and remain on track to graduate.
EmpowHer Leaders Academy is our program for high school girls. Serving 50+ teen girls, ages 14-18, attending high schools in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. EmpowHer Leaders Academy has four components: (1) social justice awareness and advocacy; (2) mentorship; (3) workforce development, primarily in fields where women of color are underrepresented; (4) college, career, and cultural field trips. EmpowHer Leaders Academy is a 10-month program that meets for two hours every Saturday. EmpowHer Leaders Academy provides a safe space where girls share experiences, build relationships and learn to make informed decisions. This program aims to empower teen girls by providing them with the resources and skills to navigate the systemic barriers women of color often face in school and the workplace and break generational cycles of poverty.
EmpowHer Institute has an exciting opportunity for an individual who has a dynamic personality and demonstrated passion for serving youth in marginalized communities. We are seeking two full-time Academy Instructors for our EmpowHer Girls Academy and EmpowHer Leaders Academy programs. Academy Instructors will be responsible for facilitating our program curricula to cohorts of 15-20 girls, at multiple sites. Additionally, Academy Instructors will build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders–school administrators, students, parents and mentors. All programs have reconvened to in-person as of September 2021.
Under the supervision of the Program Director, the Academy Instructors will:
- Facilitate EmpowHer Girls Academy to cohorts of 15-20 girls, ages 11-14, at partner school sites on weekdays (days and times vary by school site)
- Facilitate EmpowHer Leaders Academy to cohorts of 15-20 girls, ages 14-18, at partner school sites on weekdays and a central location on Saturdays
- Utilize gender responsive, trauma-informed, culturally inclusive curricula provided by EmpowHer Institute
- Facilitate workshop(s) during the EmpowHer Summer STEM Camp, using EmpowHer Summer STEM Camp curriculum
- Create a supportive environment where teen girls feel safe and are comfortable discussing issues that are personal and sensitive
- Contribute to the revision and development of curricula
- Support the design of our six-week summer STEM camp
- Work closely with Program Director to evaluate program implementation and/or activities
- Contribute new ideas to the overall implementation and evaluation of the program/services
- Collect quantitative and qualitative program data
- Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the workplace values of cultural inclusiveness, gender and racial justice, respect, caring, support, effective communication, teamwork & collaboration, accountability and responsibility; practice these values in relation with internal and external stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with staff and participate fully in the team process
- Build positive relationships with stakeholders (school administrators and staff, program participants, parents, mentors and community partners)
- Communicate with mentors, program participants, parents, and staff regarding program
- Track attendance and participation of program participants and mentors
- Prepare and submit documentation and reports in a timely manner
The ideal candidate is one who is committed to the mission of EmpowHer Institute, experienced serving youth in marginalized communities, passionate about fostering the whole child, has a dynamic personality, is creative, is comfortable around diverse stakeholders, believes in youth leadership and will listen to the voice of the girls we serve, and has excellent interpersonal communications skills.
- College degree (preferred, but can be substituted for experience)
- Must pass LiveScan criminal background check facilitated by the LA County Department of Probation within the first 30 days of employment
- MUST show proof of full Covid-19 vaccination at time of hire
- Must submit negative TB test result within first 30 days employment
- 2+ years of experience working with teen girls, ages 11-18
- 2+ years of experience working with marginalized communities
- 3+ years of experience as an instructor with strong classroom management skills
- Comfortable using ZOOM to facilitate virtual classes when necessary
- Must have dependable transportation and a valid California Driver's License
- Must be able to work Weekdays 9:00am – 5:30pm and Saturday 10am-1pm You will not work more than 40 hours a week.
- Bi-lingual (English and Spanish) not required, but desirable
- Full-time (40 hrs a week) Exempt: $54,100 annual salary
- Benefits include paid holidays and vacation, Simple IRA with employer match, medical, dental, vision, and a range of professional development opportunities
HOW TO APPLY:
- Submit cover letter and resume to Keyonna Keith, Program Director at email@example.com, Subject: ACADEMY INSTRUCTOR. Applications without cover letter and resume will not be considered.
EmpowHer Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. EmpowHer Institute is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All are encouraged to apply, including women and BIPOC individuals, and will be welcomed without judgment.
Click below to learn more about EmpoweHer Institute.